Cheap Blinds - you know you want 'em

There's two kinds of people who search for cheap blinds - those who feel cheap blinds means getting a massive bargain and those who want them to just do their job for minimum cash.

We'll sort it out.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shop Smart When Buying Blinds


When shopping around for new window blinds it's easy to get sucked into buying the name brand blinds that the "helpful" associates at the store are pushing you to buy. Rarely do they tell you about the less expensive blinds that are sitting nearby for a mere fraction of the price.

All of the blinds look the same to the average consumer, so why the big difference in price? It's actually pretty simple. The cheap blinds are less expensive simply because they don't have a brand name. With the brand name comes a big marketing push with advertisements on television and throughout the nation's newspapers. When you buy name brand blinds, you are not just paying for the blind that you are getting, you are actually paying for everything that goes into marketing the product. Those marketing costs can nearly double the price right off the bat. Who really wants to pay to market a product? Not me. I just want to buy some new blinds to hang in my home.

When looking over the wide variety of blinds at the store, walk over to the part of the aisle where the cheap blinds are sold. You will notice that the selection is not as vast as there is for name brand blinds, but if the size and color that you are looking for are available, go ahead and make the purchase. 

I was a name brand shopper before the economy reached its current state, but over the last few years that changed.  Now I look for deals every time I shop.  Lo and behold, when you look, you find.  I've had a number of experiences since this 'new way' of thinking about money where I found what I was looking for at a price that I used to associate with low quality.  I am happy to report that after installing my cheap blinds, I wouldn't have it any other way! Yes, the selection is smaller for the cheap blinds, but as far as quality and style, no one can tell by looking at my window blinds that they aren't a name brand.  

When I installed my low price blinds, at first I imagined guests coming to my house and surreptitiously lifting up the bottom edge of the blinds to see what brand they are. After an initial instinct of thinking I might be found out as an imposter, I realized that these days, having a brand name product doesn't necessarily convey prestige, but perhaps a lack of wisdom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment